[BusyBox] Good dns cache server...

Adam Slattery aslattery at sunriselinux.com
Tue Aug 28 15:40:11 MDT 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Tom Cameron wrote:

> Hello all,
> 	I have been trying to get dnscache (part of djbdns package) to work on
> my target system, but have found it to be too cumbersome, and to require
> too many external things.  This brings me to my question. Does anyone
> know of a good dns-cache server that can be built against uClibc?  Or,
> perhaps, does anyone know how to smack dnscache around enough to make it
> not depend so heavily on the other packages (I don't think this is
> possible without a rewrite).  Anyway, I just figured I'd ask.  BTW,
> djbdns DOES in fact compile against uClibc...so we can chalk up yet
> _another_ package that uClibc works with!  Thanks!

Yeah, djbdns is good but it's not at all designed for embedded use. A few
months ago I was looking at yaku-ns (formerly ENS). I don't think it's
under development because I never got a reply to the patches I submitted,
but it is functional and it is very small. You might want to take a look
at it.

The url is http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/ens.html

BTW, you wouldn't be able to rewrite djbdns because of dan's licensing.

- Adam Slattery