[BusyBox] tinylogin

Vladimir N. Oleynik dzo at simtreas.ru
Mon Aug 20 11:03:40 UTC 2001

Erik,

> There are several reasons.
>
>     1) tinylogin has to be linked vs libcrypt.  BusyBox has made it
>         policy that it only links vs libc.

I think glibc again soon will merge as it is in the majority Unix-ah with
libcrypt as restrictions on cryptographic algorithms used there are taken off.

>     2) tinylogin requires the setuid bit in order for things like 'su'
>         to work.  BusyBox has never been (and will never be IMHO) properly
>         audited for security holes, so setting the setuid bit on busybox
>         would be extremely unwise.

Hmm. And ping, traceroute,
mount(but not realized in current time in busybox support user mounting)

>     3) tinylogin started life as a separate project, and I havn't messed
>         with merging it, since it didn't seem necessary.

> So... the only way I can think of to improve the current situation is to
> merge tinylogin into the busybox source tree, but still have it produce
> a separate binary.

Why to not make an opportunity of a choice what exactly to include in Config.h
to the user
in one or separate binary without special produce?
It is quite enough to make libbb and lib_pwd_grp as share library.
I do not think, that there was a need to use separately tynylogin without
busybox,
therefore these libraries will not be superfluous, certainly after application
of the utility, excluding unused functions for all specified using binaries in
system.
Let alone significant gain, when the carried out module absolyte completely one
binary
in system.

--w
vodz