[BusyBox] Documentation ideas

Wendel M. Leibe WLeibe at Austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 15 23:04:40 MDT 2001

Hello all,
	First I would like to thank all of you for a great product.  I have
successfully created a small distribution using the busybox executable.
Over the past week or so I have learned a few things and I would like to try
to document the steps and things that I have learned to make the process a
bit easier.  Here are my suggestions.

1.  What does everyone think about setting up a make file similar to the one
used for the Linux kernel.  What I am getting at is the using the menu
system i.e. xconfig or menuconfig.  The help system with the menu tool is
great and we can use to convey how much space an option will take up after
the build is over.  We can also save different configurations and possibly
have an upgrade path to each next release.

2.  It would be really nice to have the make configuration file for some
version of the Linux Kernel that has the absolute bare minimum features
necessary to run busybox.  (One with networking, one without.  One with DHCP
one without.  etc.)  I for one had to compile the kernel several times
before I had everything I needed in it.  I figure after we create them we
can have links so that people can download the one for the Kernel they are
using.

3.  I was lucky enough to have some documents given to me that explained how
to set up Lilo on a second HDD that would allow me to create a bootable
partition on it.  It would be nice if we had a place to document these
steps.  (rdev... and lilo -r)

4.  VMWare  (http:://www.vmware.com) was a great tool to trim the resulting
system down.  Do any other tools exist that serve the same purpose?  Maybe
we should mention this tool or an something similar to other users.

Thats it.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Wendel Leibe