[BusyBox] latest round of problems

Nick Fedchik fnm at fusion.ukrsat.com
Tue Feb 4 03:39:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Mark and Janice Juszczec wrote:

>Hi folks
>The problem I had with BusyBox not giving the "init started" message was
>corrected(? maybe changed is a better word) by a recompile of uClibc
>Now, I'm getting "Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option
>to kernel"
>I tried init=/sbin/init and init=/bin/busybox and still got the message.
>I'm using BusyBox 0.60.1 and uClibc 0.9.17 on mipsel-linux.
>Any advice how to get the kernel to recognize and use the BusyBox init
>function?

Here is my part of grub.conf, just for example.
title BusyBox devel
        lock
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/kernel rw root=/dev/ramdisk init=/sbin/init
ramdisk_size=8192 hdd=500,8,16 initrd=/boot/ramdisk.img vga=ext
console=ttyS0,115200n8
        initrd /boot/ramdisk.img

Inside the ramdisk.img
/dev/ramdisk -> ram0
#ls -l /dev/ram0
brw-rw----    1 root     root       1,   0 Feb  3 12:40 /dev/ram0

busybox/.config
#
# Init Utilities
#
CONFIG_INIT=y
CONFIG_FEATURE_USE_INITTAB=y
CONFIG_FEATURE_INITRD=y
# CONFIG_FEATURE_INIT_COREDUMPS is not set
CONFIG_FEATURE_EXTRA_QUIET=y
CONFIG_HALT=y
CONFIG_POWEROFF=y
CONFIG_REBOOT=y
# CONFIG_START_STOP_DAEMON is not set
# CONFIG_MESG is not set

Nick Fedchik, FNM3-RIPE(UANIC)
Internet Dept./ISP UkrSat, Kiev, Ukraine