[BusyBox] strange compiler log

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Sat May 1 16:57:46 UTC 2004

aeriksson2 at fastmail.fm wrote:

> Since we're patching up to a nice 1.0 I figured the ones in the know
> should have a peek at this. I have no clue what it really means, but I
> got a static (vs. glibc) busybox binary out of it (as expected). Is
> this an error? if not it would probably be good if it was supressed
> somehow...

No, it's not an error, and it can't be suppressed because it's important.

What it's telling you is that these functions from glibc use the libnss
external library to perform their functions (so they can consult
/etc/nsswitch.conf and use different methods of hostname/address
resolution). In spite of the fact that you static-linked against glibc,
if you want these functions to work you will need to still supply a copy
of the libnss that was used at link time. It means you don't really have
a completely static binary.

uClibc and other libcs don't work this way, so they don't have this problem.