[BusyBox] abandoning busybox dpkg

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sun May 2 11:24:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> Im abondoning the dpkg applet, and unless someone steps up and states
> they intend to maintain it them i have to recommend it be removed prior
> to a 1.0 release.
>
> The current bug could probably be fixed relatively easy, but im just not
> inspired to maintain it anymore. Its unfortunate, but i think busybox
> dpkg missed its chance and is no longer relevant.
>
> I still think a packaging tool would be very usefull for busybox, but i
> see no purpose in trying to be compatable with debians technical
> requirements, for social reasons they will never be relevent to the
> embedded space.
>
> I currently recommend ipkg for embedded packaging requirments.

at this point, i'd have to agree.  having played with dpkg for a while,
i've finally concluded that, bugs aside, it just doesn't have the
functionality for an acceptable package management utility.

so, let's see here ... i was investigating minit, and the end result of
that was that it was removed from busybox.  then i started debugging dpkg,
the end result being ... it was removed from busybox.

clearly, i have THE TOUCH OF DEATH!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  sigh ...

rday

p.s. make sure the online docs are updated to remove references to
abandoned packages.