[BusyBox] Building Linux from Scratch 5.0 with busybox: how I did it.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun May 9 08:43:26 UTC 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 15:22, Larry Doolittle wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 09:34:16PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Okay, I just finished building Linux From Scratch 5.0 all the way through
> > with busybox replacing most of the FSF packages.  The resulting system
> > SEEMS to work...
> >
> > My scripts are attached.  Here's what I did.
>
> [ snip long list of corner-cases exercised by Monster program
> build scripts, and how he resorted to the GNU version of sh, awk, etc. ]
>
> Alternatively, you could attempt to call these things bugs in the
> build scripts, patch them to depend on more widely available
> features, and see if the upstream maintainers are non-parochial
> enough to accept said patches.
>
>     - Larry

1) This is the free software foundation.  Their most recent official release
version of Tar still doesn't support the -j option for bzip.  (New versions
downloaded off alphaworks aren't official release versions.)  Grub still
hasn't had a 1.0 release, either.  The only reason gcc is being updated is
that it forked (egcs) and the fork inherited the old project name when the
old project collapsed.  Something similar happened with Ulrich Drepper taking
over glibc.

2) So you don't want busybox to have the capability to be fully functional
tested against real-world use cases?