[BusyBox] how to get "reboot" to work when using "minit"??

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun May 9 23:26:35 UTC 2004

On Sunday 09 May 2004 07:52, you wrote:
> On Sun, 9 May 2004, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Init is always pid 1.  By definition.  If pid 1 exits, the kernel panics
> > with "attempted to kill init".  PID 1 will inherit orphan child
> > processes.  Check the implementation of the kernel function
> > "daemonize()", which used to be called reparent_to_init().
> >
> > If init is ever NOT running as PID 1, this is a bug.
>
> i'm not sure you correctly interpreted what i posted.  WRT minit, when i
> boot using minit (that is, the cross-compiled minit, not the BB applet),
> that process *is* running as PID 1, that's not a problem.
>
> previously, my bootable image had *both* the BB init applet and the minit
> executable and, because they use completely independent support files and
> directories, i could select the init-like program at boot time, and
> everything worked fine.  whichever one i selected would be PID 1.
>
> the only problem (and a niggling one, i confess) is that the BB "reboot"
> applet wouldn't reboot the system if i booted using minit:

And what I was saying is it should have to search for the init process by
name.  It's always PID 1. :)

I'm still don't know the difference between minit and busybox init (okay,
different code, but why use one or the other...)  And I've under the vague
impression minit was _in_ busybox at some point, while I wasn't looking...?