DNS server (was Re: [BusyBox] An alternative to buildroot.)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon May 31 20:46:57 UTC 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 11:35, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2004, Charlie Brady wrote:
> > I hope they've fix it since this was written:
> >
> >  Oak DNS Server is a good example of why novices shouldn't try to write
> >  DNS software. The digitallumber.net domain, served by Oak DNS Server
> > 1.0, is inaccessible to a huge number of clients that try AAAA lookups
> > before A lookups: the server incorrectly returns NXDOMAIN for AAAA,
> > effectively wiping out its own A record.
>
> Not surprisingly, they have fixed the problem:
>
>   1/23/2003
>         fixed NXDOMAIN bug:
>                 clients would get NXDOMAIN if node existed but rrtype
>                 for that node didn't exist (thanks to djb for pointing
>                 this out).  This was due to a typo (bad tab reformatting)
>
> I still wonder why Rob wants to run a python DNS server if he's looking
> for small footprint apps.

I'm looking for _simple_.  Small is good, but _simple_ is my primary goal.  I
want a system that's put together in a way that I understand.

Simple comes first, then small and high performance are tied for second and
third.  (If I decided to port OAK from python to C, I can do that because the
whole thing's small and relatively readable.  I can probably get a dns server
in under 20k, and that might be a good addition to busybox...)

But first, I'd like to get one up and running...

--
www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)