[BusyBox] patch: allow ls coloring to be disabled

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Wed Nov 10 14:43:05 UTC 2004

like i said, i'm not wedded to this implementation, and i'm happy
to make it "right" (within limits).

 > Ok.
 > But BB_LSCOLOR is not compatibile with fileutils LS_COLORS
 > (the format and usage).

that's right.  i was trying not to go there.  :-)

besides, there's no way to use the fileutils LS_COLORS variable
to disable color, that i know of.  (short of introducing a syntax
error, which suppresses coloring, but results in a message on
stderr.)  the only way to disable color using gnu ls is to never
enable it in the first place.  for busybox, that would involve
changing the current default behavior.  i'd (clearly ;-) be happy
to do that, but i don't know how anyone else feels about it.

 > I think, this option may be should create as new config option
 > "SUPPORT_BB_LSCOLOR" and documentation.

no, i don't agree with this.  i think that if
CONFIG_FEATURE_LS_COLOR is configured, then there _must_ be some
way to disable coloring (or else it should be off by default).
otherwise a user has no recourse when faced with an unreadable
display.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com