[BusyBox] Serial console on kernel 2.6.9

Nicholas Humfrey njh at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Nov 25 15:41:40 UTC 2004

Hi,

Been using busybox for a couple of weeks now, and really loving it :)

Sorry this is more of Linux Kernel query, but thought that busybox
people are more likely to know the answer.

I am running Linux Kernel 2.6.9 and Busybox on a WRAP 2C board -
Ethernet, Serial, and no VGA.

I have configured bootloader (tried grub and lilo) to use serial
console at WRAP's default baud rate (38400), and passed
console=ttyS0,38400 on the kernel command line.

Everything works on the serial port fine up until the Kernel's serial
driver loads (just after the line Serial: 8250/16550 driver
$Revision: 1.90 $ 8 ports, IRQ sharing enabled) and then it starts
spitting out junk. It is like the baud rate, serial paramaters get
changed).

Then once busybox's init loads, serial sorts itself out and displays
properly again.

I have tried changing lots of Kernel Parameters (enabling virtual
terminals, shared IRQs, serial drivers etc) with no change. It isn't
too big a problem, just a bit annoying, and don't understand why.

nick.