[BusyBox] job control turned off, yet again... RESOLVED

Jeff "Tiny" Warren tiny.laser at verizon.net
Mon Sep 13 19:50:11 MDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 12:34, Jeff "Tiny" Warren wrote:

Thanks Vernon,

I wanted to post this on the list so that others could benefit as well
as tell you how I fixed my problem.

First of all here is my final inittab:

# /etc/inittab: for BusyBox 1.0rc3
# $Id: inittab,v 1.6 1997/01/30 15:03:55 miquels Exp $

# Boot-time system configuration/initialization script.
# This is run first except when booting in emergency (-b) mode.

::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

ttyS0::askfirst:-/bin/ash
::respawn:/sbin/syslogd -n
::respawn:usr/sbin/inetd -i

::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
::restart:/sbin/init

Now I got this to work as long as I had all of the respawn lines
commented out.  And I notice that you use once for your inetd action.

The reason is that if you look in the code the sequence is:

SYSINIT
WAIT
ONCE
while(1)
{
RESPAWN
ASKFIRST
}

So on my inittab, the syslog is going to get the controlling terminal,
and if I were to comment that out, then the inetd would get the
controlling terminal, but I want ash to have the controlling terminal.
So in init.c, I just swapped the order so that ASKFIRST is run then
RESPAWN is run, that way ash gets the controlling terminal and everybody
is happy.

Thanks again Vernon for your help.

Regards,

Jeff Warren