[BusyBox] CONFIG_ name clashing with kernel

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Aug 2 07:27:15 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 02:03 am, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Monday 01 August 2005 21:16, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > > Let's not make the prefix longer, thanks.
> > >
> > > I just put in the ENABLE_ replacement for CONFIG_, and left the old one
> > > so we wouldn't have change all the existing #ifdefs.  However, if the
> > > existing #ifdefs are horked...
> >
> > that still doesnt 'namespace' it to busybox ... that means we have to be
> > careful not to use the same feature names in busybox, uClibc, the kernel,
> > and anything else that happens by
>
> Busybox is, fundamentally, just a userspace app.  Nobody should be
> inheriting our headers.
>
> The problem is that the C library (uClibc) is inheriting symbols from the
> kernel headers.  Those heades _are_ meant to be inherited, and those two
> should be namespaced so as not to pollute the application namespace.

i'm not talking about other projects using busybox headers, i'm referring to
the kernels/libraries busybox is being built against ... the namespace is
being polluted underneath busybox and there really isnt anything we can do
about that except minimize the chances of collision by using a somewhat
unique namespace such as 'BB_CONFIG_'

going with a generic name like 'ENABLE_' just sets us up for 'next time'
-mike