[BusyBox] builtin echo for ash

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Fri Aug 5 22:00:11 MDT 2005

 > Paul,
 >
 > What currently happens when you have ash and echo both turned on, and
 > then go turn on CONFIG_ASH_BUILTIN_ECHO?  Does the standalone echo
 > still get built as well?

yes.  either can be turned on or off independently.

 > (I know I'm a bit lazy and should just build it, but I don't have a
 > development machine to muck with where I'm at)
 >
 > I'm just curious if the two should be mutually exclusive or not.
 > Would there be a need ever for the standalone if you have it built
 > into the shell?

not really.  well, yes, maybe.  if a non-shell process for some
reason wanted to run "/bin/echo", then it should be there.  it's
part of the unix core.  traditionally, /bin/echo came first, and
the builtin echo in various shells came later for performance
reasons.  and since they arrived at different times, they've
sometimes had different semantics -- bsd vs. sysV escape
conventions, for instance, so there's some history behind needing
both, and for some programs to explicitly request one or the
other.  but i think it would certainly be possible to tune a
system to only need one.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com