[BusyBox] a problem of login

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Tue Aug 9 21:55:04 MDT 2005

I am probably wrong about this, I haven't looked at the code, but the
man page for the passwd file states:

>$ man 5 passwd
>
>These days many people run some version of the shadow  password  suite,
>where  /etc/passwd  has  *âs  instead  of  encrypted passwords, and the
>encrypted passwords are in /etc/shadow which is readable by  the  supe-
>ruser only.

Notice you have a "x" for the encrypted version of the password instead
of an "*". I don't know how important that is, but if the "*" is a key
to go look at the shadow file then you'd have a problem, since you don't
have an "*". But, I don't know if that is how it works.

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 11:11 +0800, lily wrote:
> passwd:
> root:x:0:0::/root:/bin/ash

If the code just only ever looks at the shadow file then I'd check the
shadow file, which you don't show.

This is just a guess without looking at the busybox passwd applet and
whatever library routines it may happen to use to figure out the
password for a user.

--
Chris Kottaridis <chriskot at quietwind.net>