[BusyBox] Probably a dumb question - but is there a c compiler with Busybox - or how to install?

Angus Comber angus at iteloffice.com
Wed Aug 17 11:59:20 MDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan Clark" <allanc at chickenandporn.com>
To: "Angus Comber" <angus at iteloffice.com>
Cc: <busybox at codepoet.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: [BusyBox] Probably a dumb question - but is there a c compiler
with Busybox - or how to install?

> Angus Comber wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Forgive my ignorance but I need to recompile some program on a busybox -
>> I have a busybox up and running.  Do I need a cross compiler?  Or can I
>> just download a C compiler for busybox?  From where?
>
> 1) What hardware is your busybox running on?  Is it different architecture
> than your machine that you can compile on?  This answers your question of
> whether you need a cross-compiler.  For example, I have a pxa270 (ie
> arm5te, or armv5te?) handset, and I compile on an x86 linux SuSE-9.3 host,
> so I need a cross-compiler.  My imaginary associate, let's call him
> "Luther" (and he owes me money from the last Seahawks game, that lying
> cheat, but I digress) , Luther's building for a nano-itx, so it's just an
> i386, and he's got the same glibc there as his host, so he just compiles
> with the host (ie non-cross) toolchain on his Redhat-9.0 system.

I could do this I suppose as use a Suse 9.3 machine which may become my
Linux dev machine. But I am running on a VIA Epia M series embedded
motherboard.  But I can attach a largish hard drive and compile on the box -
or compile on my Suse box - what do you think would be easiest?

> 2) When you say "I need to recompile some program on busybox", do you
> mean:
> 2.1) I need to change the way busybox's mount command works; or
> 2.2) I need to add my company's xyz-dongle-setup-tool to be an applet
> inside busybox
* Basically I have source code for some drivers and just need to compile
them to run on my busybox.

> Generally, gcc builds busybox, but you don't say you've got a linux, unix,
> or Cygwin platform.

Running busybox on a VIA EPIA M10000 motherboard.  I loaded busybox on a IDE
flash disk which is mounted read only - but also can connect a hard drive on
2ns IDE channel.  So I could compile with hard drive and then remove?  Or
possibly more convenient to cross compile on Suse?  How do I go about cross
compiling eg from Suse to the Via?

Sorry but I am a Windows programmer!  Gradually learning Linux stuff.

Angus