[BusyBox] Re: network enabled awk

castorpilot castorpilot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 01:28:12 MDT 2005

On 8/22/05, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On Monday 22 August 2005 06:52, castorpilot wrote:
> > hello,
> > I am trying to add network capabilities to awk (ie gawk-like special
> >  file /inet/protocol/lport/host/rport).
> >  I don't really see why anybody else would need that, but do you think
> >  this might be of any use ?
> >
> >  fred
>
> *boggle*
>
> 1) This is a gnu extension, isn't it?  (Did they network enable grep or sed?
> How about dc?)

This is gawk specific, so, yes, this is a gnu extension.

> 2) What on _earth_ would this kind of thing be used for?

Exactly my point, that's why I asked before !
(In fact, the idea was to have some kind of a programming language on
a busybox system, which could use the network. Since awk was already
there, I decided to use it).
> 3) Can you point to anything out there that actually got shipped which depends
> on this?

No.

Thanks for your reply.

Fred