[BusyBox] Re: network enabled awk

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 23 14:10:42 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 02:28, castorpilot wrote:
> > 2) What on _earth_ would this kind of thing be used for?
>
> Exactly my point, that's why I asked before !
> (In fact, the idea was to have some kind of a programming language on
> a busybox system, which could use the network. Since awk was already
> there, I decided to use it).

Trying to program in awk is a bit like trying to program in bc.  (If you man
bc you'll notice it is, in fact, a turing-complete language.  Bolted on to
the original "dc".  Be afraid, be very afraid.  I'm fairly certain it hasn't
yet been expanded to read mail, but then Jamie Zawinski hasn't patched it
yet, so...)

I'm working on a new shell to replace the lash/hush/msh/ash mess.  it won't be
ready any time soon.

You are aware that tcc can turn C into a scripting language with the

#!/usr/bin/tcc -run

option, right?

It's too bad there's no mini-python the way there is a mini-perl...