Testiness.

Ihno Krumreich ihno at suse.de
Wed Aug 31 14:16:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 02:29:08AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <200508301909.03225.rob at landley.net> you wrote:
> >
> > Is this ubuntu brokenness, gnu brokenness, some standards body that
> > collectively dropped acid, or a simple mistake nobody's bothered to correct
> > because they think it's intentional?
>
> I see the same in several current Linux distros (Ubuntu, Fedora  Core
> 2/3/4, SuSE 9.2/3...) when using such locale settings.
>
> For example:
>
> Fedora Core 2:
>
> 	$ cat /etc/issue
> 	Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang)
> 	Kernel \r on an \m
>
> 	$ echo [a-z]*
> 	config.mk CVS flash.c load_sernum_ethaddr.c Makefile tqm8xx.c u-boot.lds u-boot.lds.debug
>
> [mind the "CVS' and "Makefile" entries which definitely do NOT  match
> "[a-z]*' - at least in my understanding.]
>
> Fedora Core 4:
>
> 	$ cat /etc/issue
> 	Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)
> 	Kernel \r on an \m
>
> 	$ echo [a-z]*
> 	config.mk CVS flash.c load_sernum_ethaddr.c Makefile tqm8xx.c u-boot.lds u-boot.lds.debug
> 	$ echo $LANG
> 	en_US.UTF-8
> 	$ LANG=C
> 	$ echo [a-z]*
> 	config.mk flash.c load_sernum_ethaddr.c tqm8xx.c u-boot.lds u-boot.lds.debug
>
> SuSE 9.2:
>
> 	$ cat /etc/issue
>
> 	Welcome to SuSE Linux 9.2 (i586) - Kernel \r (\l).
>

> 	$ echo [a-z]*
> 	config.mk CVS flash.c load_sernum_ethaddr.c Makefile tqm8xx.c u-boot.lds u-boot.lds.debug
> 	$ echo $LANG
> 	en_US.UTF-8
> 	$ LANG=C
> 	$ echo [a-z]*
> 	config.mk flash.c load_sernum_ethaddr.c tqm8xx.c u-boot.lds u-boot.lds.debug
>
> > This is clearly broken behavior, I'm wondering where the brokenness
> > originated.  (I'm guessing Microsoft might have been involved if it's a
> > standards body.  After all, MS filesystems are case insensitive...)
>
> Looks broken to me, too. But it seems very few  people  even  notice,
> and even fewer care.

Depends on what you want to have. If the collating sequence for en_US.UTF-8
is according to the dictionary (like it is for the german UTF-8). Then
everything works perfect.

What all the above example have in mind is the American ASCII code
and the collating sequence according to the numeric value.
If you want to have this you have to set LANG=C.

So its not a bug its a feature.

Ihno

--
Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ihno Krumreich

"Never trust a computer you can lift."
Ihno Krumreich            ihno at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH  Projectmanager S390 & zSeries
Maxfeldstr. 5             +49-911-74053-439
D-90409 Nürnberg          http://www.suse.de