[BusyBox] CONFIG_ name clashing with kernel

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 2 06:03:46 UTC 2005

On Monday 01 August 2005 21:16, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 01 August 2005 05:42 pm, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Sunday 31 July 2005 17:59, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > all the CONFIG_ defines we're using in busybox have lead to name space
> > > clashing with the kernel ...
> > >
> > > http://bugs.busybox.net/view.php?id=316
> > >
> > > we can rename these three defines (SYSCTL/TR/WATCHDOG) or we could take
> > > care of this now (and forever) by replacing all of the macros with a
> > > different namespace:
> > > BB_CONFIG_*
> >
> > Let's not make the prefix longer, thanks.
> >
> > I just put in the ENABLE_ replacement for CONFIG_, and left the old one
> > so we wouldn't have change all the existing #ifdefs.  However, if the
> > existing #ifdefs are horked...
>
> that still doesnt 'namespace' it to busybox ... that means we have to be
> careful not to use the same feature names in busybox, uClibc, the kernel,
> and anything else that happens by

Busybox is, fundamentally, just a userspace app.  Nobody should be inheriting
our headers.

The problem is that the C library (uClibc) is inheriting symbols from the
kernel headers.  Those heades _are_ meant to be inherited, and those two
should be namespaced so as not to pollute the application namespace.