[BusyBox] Traceroute question

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 21:18:18 UTC 2005

A bit of a silly, esoteric question.

Is there any way for the busybox implementation of traceroute to be of
use to a non-superuser?  It appears to me that in all cases this
implementation will use a raw socket, making it not accessible to
ordinary users.

If this were the case, I would think the default installation in
busybox should default to /usr/sbin, rather than /usr/bin.  I'm
guessing the reason for being normally located in /usr/bin has to do
with the option in full traceroute to use UDP datagrams rather than
ICMP.

I guess that brings up a question though, should busybox try to
install in directories that make sense from a usage case, or install
in locations that match the standard install location regardless of
function.