[BusyBox] [patch] Add bunzip2 support to insmod

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Aug 17 00:44:13 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 14:28, Stephen Warren wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 August 2005 10:41, Stephen Warren wrote:
> >
> > Or you could use a compressed filesystem like squashfs...
>
> True, but can one boot from cramfs/squashfs/... using LILO? I haven't
> looked into this much yet (although I did see mention of a cramfsboot,
> so I guess not). One could always have a separate /boot though.

In Firmware Linux, what I did was append a squashfs to the kernel image and
then loopback mounted it in initramfs (using the -o option to losetup to
specify a starting offset for the partition), and using the following patch
to lilo so I could specify a "length: parameter:

http://www.landley.net/code/firmware/lilo-length.patch

In theory you could boot from a raw partition that way without too much
trouble.  (Haven't played with it that much, waiting for uclibc 0.9.28 before
doing much more with it.  Dunno if you can lock a loop device on a block
device, but in theory it might work...)