[BusyBox] [patch] get_terminal_width_height() return value

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Sun Aug 28 19:43:51 UTC 2005

Rob Landley wrote:
On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 12:48:33AM +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>Rob Landley wrote:
>>
>>>I'd prefer unconditionally, myself.  What's the size difference?
>>

>>Not that much. The trailing minus are the ones with autowidth turned
>>off.
>>
>>$ size get_terminal_width_height.o.*
>>   text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>>    134       0       0     134      86
>>    get_terminal_width_height.o.int
>>    130       0       0     130      82
>>    get_terminal_width_height.o.void
>>     33       0       0      33      21
>>     get_terminal_width_height.o.int-
>>     31       0       0      31      1f
>>     get_terminal_width_height.o.void-
>
>I'd say that's big enough to care.

It adds
4 Bytes if CONFIG_FEATURE_AUTOWIDTH is set.
2 Bytes if CONFIG_FEATURE_AUTOWIDTH is *not* set

It's more than nothing, but it is not what i would call 'big enough to
care' myself :)

>What might be nice is some kind of CONFIG_NITPICK that we could make
>lots of
>the smaller config options dependent on.  If you're hand-rolling a
>really
>tight system and you need to shave an extra 1700 bytes off a largeish
>busybox
>binary.  Then we could go nuts making all sorts of tiny stuff
>selectable...

In this particular case i think everyone who really needs an ultra-slim
busybox will not set CONFIG_FEATURE_AUTOWIDTH in the first place, agree?

Do you think we can justify the additional 2 or 4 Byte in this case?

kind regards,
Bernhard