The darn bug tracking system.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 30 17:33:24 UTC 2005

It's been brought to my attention that my complete and utter disregard of the
bug tracking system probably isn't a good thing.  So I went and looked at it
again: tons of issues never brought up on the list, of course, but the
reasons I don't like it are still there.

When I go to bugs.busybox.net it shows me uclibc and buildroot issues.
Despite each instance of the word "BusyBox" being a link (under the category
column), and the URL there implying that it might at least sort (if not
exclude anything that isn't BusyBox from the darn list like it's supposed
to), clicking on this accomplishes nothing.  (Well, it reloads the page.)

Up at the top of the page there is a "category" link, but this is things like
"Documentation", "Math Library", or "Posix Threads".  Not "don't show me
anything but busybox bugs when I go to bugs.busybox.net.

I have no idea what the color coding is supposed to mean, nor why bug 349 is
still "new" when we're up to 407.  I don't know why "resolved" bugs still
show up in the list by default.  Bug 376 is an example where the background
color (either Fuscia, Magenta, or some kind of neon pink) is close enough to
the foreground color in the "category" field to be completely unreadable...

The login link is insecure, and attempting to replace the "http" in the url
with "https://" does not give a happy result.  I'm assuming that if I logged
in there might be some way to email bug submitters, but this is a wild guess
on my part.

I figured out how to get it to show me more than 50 results at a time (if the
list is too long that means we need to close bugs, not that we need to view
small chunks of it).  And I found the "projects" pulldown in the upper right
corner, but when I use that to select "busybox" it gives me a COMPLETELY
DIFFERENT DISPLAY, one which only shows 10 bugs at a time and has no obvious
way to show more, or to not do the 2 column thing...

How do _other_ people use this thing?