[BusyBox] Filesystem detection in mount & lazy unmount

Chris Spiegel busybox at happyjack.org
Sat Jul 9 20:23:06 UTC 2005

Hi,
  "mount" from mainline util-linux has the ability to do automatic filesystem
detection, if no type is selected, by checking magic numbers - this is more
complete than just checking /proc/filesystems because it can detect
filesystems whose modules are not loaded.  When it tries to mount, then, the
module automatically loads.  I find this to be a very handy feature.  SGI's
xfsprogs has a small implementation of the filesystem detection that weigs in
at about 5K compiled, on my system.  Would this be a useful addition to
busybox?  If so, I'd be happy to integrate the code into busybox.

Also regarding mainline util-linux, umount has the ability to do a "lazy"
unmount - it registers the unmount, and as soon as the filesystem isn't being
used anymore, it's actually unmounted.  As with the above, I'm willing to add
this feature if it's deemed appropriate.

Chris