[BusyBox] Busybox 1.1.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jul 12 22:14:12 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 16:23, Tito wrote:
> Hi, to all
>
> On Tuesday 12 July 2005 22:22, Erik Andersen wrote:
> > On Thu Jun 30, 2005 at 08:45:55PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > > 1) I'd like to get a busybox 1.0.1 release out in the next month or
> > > two. 2) I'd like to fork a busybox 1.1 tree and start attacking the
> > > TODO list.
>
> One point of the TODO list should be overall code size reduction
> (i'm missing Vodz critics and patches....)
> Another point could be to try to find some way to compile in the libbb
> stuff just needed by the applets that are selected. I'm thinking about this
> a lot in the last times but as my Makefile magics are not so big I've
> no solution to propose so far.

Well, in terms of _linking_ in the stuff that's needed, making a libbb.a and
linking against that should (mostly) do that.

In terms of only building the stuff that's needed: yeah, major makefile
rewrite there.  (Make files aren't my thing.  I hate 'em.)

> > We may wish to remove some of the
> > more recently added shiny new features from busybox_1_00_stable
> > and keep only in the mainline busybox 1.1 tree... The ext2fs
> > handling code perhaps.  Thoughts?
>
> Good idea there is much work to be done..

See my previous post for a "cull fixes from the list of 217 changesets since
1.0" approach to coming out with 1.0.1.  Basically what we've _been_ working
on all this time has been 1.1, not 1.0.1...

Oh, and do we care about a numbering scheme?  (Even/odd wierdness?  Very
little except the kernel seems to do that, and they stopped.  I'd say call
the next sync point 1.1-pre1 and have done with it... :)