cat -v?

Rogelio Serrano rogelio.serrano at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 17:31:46 PDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:

> > Maybe it's not my business but I'm strongly against more programs
> > > including options that assume latin1 and break utf-8 text. Such broken
> > > programs just discourage people from abandoning legacy encodings.
> > >
> > > Rich
> > >

> > True, it's not exactly wonderful that cat assumes Latin-1, but "cat
> > -et" (the -v is superfluous, btw, as it's implied)
>
> i don't think so.  at least with GNU, it's superfluous only if you use
> the upper case forms of those options (-E or -T).
>
> in any event, i'd vote for adding those options.  as long as someone
> else did it, of course. :-)
>
> rday

Some packages break without that option.

Im not really religious about standards and i read somewhere that cat
-v is not a good thing. Maybe its better to fix that package and drop
cat -v.

Same goes for 'install -D'.

In fact these are the packages im using gnu versions instead of
busybox because some packages require options that busybox does not
support.

Cat from coreutils for '-v'.
Find for '-o'
Xargs for '-i'