dual licensing for libbusybox

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 01:57:33 UTC 2006

I would agree with Mike that it would be desirable to have the shared
library under LGPL.  Busybox itself is great as GPL because it is
standalone.  You can use it in a commercial, embedded product, and it is
perfectly fine because your proprietary apps don't link with it.

However, the point of a shared library to really be useful is to link to it,
thus bringing all linked code under its license (GPL in this case).

Now, that said, I completely understand why this is not the way Busybox will
go.  Contacting every author and getting permission to relicense under LGPL
would be nearly impossible.  The product didn't start out LGPL, so it makes
perfect sense to have it continue with GPL, shared library or not.

Obviously, as stated before, I am not a lawyer either.  I just try to keep
as close of tabs on these issues as possible, and apply some common sense.
I think it is that common sense part that keeps me an engineer, rather than
a lawyer though :-)