Exec or Fork?

Kevin Dankwardt k at kcomputing.com
Fri Mar 31 16:52:41 UTC 2006

Carlos,

Perhaps you mean the system calls/library functions exec() and fork()?

You can check Linux man pages to find out about execve(), execl(), ... , fork(). These are independent of BusyBox.

Otherwise, within the shell you of course need merely run a command to have the shell fork and exec it.

If you would like to have an application get started automatically at boot time then that is usually controlled via init and /etc/inittab. If you would like your system to not use init but instead just start up something else then boot your kernel with init=/path/to/your/program.

-kevin dankwardt