awkward placement of some BB header files

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri May 19 12:56:48 PDT 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006, Rob Landley wrote:

> On Thursday 18 May 2006 5:13 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 May 2006, Rob Landley wrote:
> > > If you can figure out how to get svn to move files without deleting
> > > their #*%&(# change history (which is something it's _advertised_ as
> > > being able to do_), I'd be very very happy and would try to figure
> > > out how to email you baked goods.
> >
> > um ... are you trying to do these file moves via a patch?  that could
> > be your problem as i suspect a patch shows only that one file is being
> > deleted while another file that just *happens* to have the same name
> > is being created elsewhere.  if subversion doesn't realize the
> > connection between the two, you'll definitely lose the file history,
> > and i'm guessing a patch file would cause just that to happen.
> >
> > you need to use "svn move" or "svn rename" to preserve that history.
>
> I did.
>
> Look at svn 13452.  I did an "svn move" from the command line and it
> turned that into a delete plus an add.

ok, that's just odd.  i tested that last night on a trivial repository
and it worked just fine.  i'm stumped.

rday

p.s.  in terms of a test, i just did an "svn rename" and asked for the
log of the new file.  all the old stuff was there, plus the latest
entry showing the rename.  is that what you're looking at?