no recursive diff?

Rogelio Serrano rogelio.serrano at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 16:53:23 UTC 2006

On 9/3/06, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 02 September 2006 12:34 am, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> > is recursive diff available in busybox?
>
> Did you try it?
>
> ./busybox diff -r dir1 dir2 worked for me...
>
> Rob

cool! that worked. i can get rid of gnu diffutils now.

> > --
> > things i hate about my linux pc:
>
> Do you really need a 7 line signature?  I'm going to treat this as content in
> the message, I think.
>
> > 1. it takes more than a second to boot up
>
> There are people who have fixed that, your distro/bios/kernel config is at
> fault.

yes i know. the vga bios ruined it for me. going into vga text mode
and initializing it and waiting for x takes time. 3 seconds from
switch on to a login screen is good enough actually. intel efi guys
are able to boot servers in 5 seconds. so guys who want to beat that
must able to boot up in 3 sec or less.

> > 2. keeps asking about filenames and directories
>
> Yes, computers care about filenames and directories.  You may want to get out
> of the computer business if files and directories strike you as a bad way of
> organizing information.

well for the system yes its ok but i tend to forget which filenames i
used for that small snippet of info that i got over the phone. i tend
to remember long lines easily but not cryptic super short filenames.
most people i asked say the same thing.

> > 3. does not remember what i was working on yesterday
>
> Mine does.  Software Suspend is fairly cool.

yes i would like to try that as a remedy.

> > 4. does not remember all the changes i have ever made
>
> Yes, finite storage space is also a bit of a bother.  However, when I wandered
> from the Amiga to the PC world in 1990 I bought a 120 megabyte hard drive for
> my first PC, and my current laptop has 60 gigabytes, which is somewhere over
> 250 times that.  I have tarballs on here of a half-dozen entire previous
> systems, which I've been meaning to go through and clean up (or at least get
> on a properly indexted series of DVD-ROMs or something).  And yesterday, I
> rsynced my entire laptop to another machine because I only needed 60 gigs of
> free space to image the whole thing and on a desktop system that's not that
> impressive these days...

well i dont want to do the indexing myself. im not good with filenames
and tarballs reduce entire volumes to a single filename.

> > 5.cannot figure out necessary settings by itself
>
> Never played with Knoppix, have you?  Modern distros are actually pretty good
> at this.

no i havent. i have been using debian. well my fathers windows desktop
is supposed to do that well but im not really impressed. specially
those software wizards that ask too many questions. why cant we just
copy the files over and the system can just run it when its needed
without me telling it to.