no recursive diff?

Rogelio Serrano rogelio.serrano at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 17:22:19 UTC 2006

On 9/3/06, Bernhard Fischer <rep.nop at aon.at> wrote:

> >1. it takes more than a second to boot up
>
> Mine needs about 7 seconds after the BIOS has handed over. Not ideal but
> ok for now.

mine is about 40 seconds from switch on to login screen. not good.

> >2. keeps asking about filenames and directories
>
> These i still prefer over folders et al..

they are the same thing. i have enough of these things. and there is
no escaping them. folders are everywhere. i want to hide it from view.
im working on a editor to do this. just show the files right away. and
just run the proper apps when the document comes into view.

> >3. does not remember what i was working on yesterday
>
> make sure to select CONFIG_FEATURE_COMMAND_HISTORY in the shell submenu
> of menuconfig.

does not work for my source code though and 'git commit -a -s' is
getting tedious. same for my documents. and emails. and config files.

> >4. does not remember all the changes i have ever made
>
> Fix your setup then: make everything readonly and checkin all your files
> in RCS; voilà, each change is put back into the remote repository, with
> versioning and changelogs.

yeah and make explicit checkpoints that i tend to forget to do
regularly. maybe put it all in a cron job? but thats not good enough.
pressing undo when i make a mistake is just very appealing to me.
beats retyping the whole thing. the shell is ok. i just want the
capability to be available everywhere... a big key with a big red UNDO
label on it is perfect. and pressing this key just undos whatever it
is you just did in all applications.

> >5.cannot figure out necessary settings by itself
>
> The client should be able to retreive about all of its settings from a
> server with the tools we currently have in busybox.
> Implies that you have one properly setup server that provides (known)
> clients with the respective configs, of course.

yes and somebody needs to set up the server. i think zcip and udhcp is
just right for this kind of thing. they show that computers can be
made to figure things out by themselves. maybe the same principle can
be applied everywhere.

--
things i hate about my linux pc: