start-stop-daemon incorrect pid

Rory Vieira rory.vieira at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 09:37:54 UTC 2006

Natanael,

> Rob commited a patch the other day, that should let you use --exec with
> busybox applests. Try to checkout latest svn and test it.
I tried to apply that patch to my clean 1.2.1...
Only thing gcc was moning about was xstrdup not being available...
Changed that into bb_xstrdup, and at least it compiles :)
Haven't tested it's functionality though...

> Creating pids in several applets sounds like bloat.
I know... It is... (hehe LOL)
And I've been following the thread about this issue, and understand
(partially) what the problem is all about... (symlinks screwing us up,
and /proc is following them I believe)...

I already figured out why my patch isn't working to the full extent...
dnsd doesn't catch SIGTERM to any function... Changed that and all is
well (huray)...

As I was messing about with start-stop-daemon before, I though about
leaving ssd for what it is, and change my approach...
This comes down to just killing the pid of a given daemon... Now it's
pretty handy if they write them away ;)
The trouble I have, is that my start/stop scripts have the same name
as the daemon in question. So pidof isn't going to work, unless I
exclude the $! in the script. This works to some extent, but is ugly
script (in my point of view)...

I will go and try Robs patch again anyway, and see if ssd can now do
what it's supposed to...
So AFAIU I need to run the daemon with
  start-stop-daemon -S -x /sbin/klogd
and kill it with