bb date

Chey chey.smith at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 00:08:26 UTC 2006

By "portability" setting the date I mean using the same command and
date format to set the date wether it be using BB's date command or
the using the date command packaged with coreutils. For example, the
following two commands work with busybox's date command but do not
work on my Debian system which has a default coreutils package
installed.

devbox:/# date -s `date +%m%d%H%M%Y.%S`
date: invalid date `090719502006.56'
devbox:/# date -s `date +%Y.%m.%d-%H:%M:%S`
date: invalid date `2006.09.07-19:51:14'

It seems that the only two formats that the BB date command supports
are the two formats above which do not work with Debian and probably
don't work with other systems. The second format above seems to be
custom to BB.

To sum things up, I'm looking for the BB date command to accept more
(at least one) standard date format when setting the date.

If BB supports another format and I missed this in the code please let me know.

Thanks,
Chey