mdev

Arvind Ayyangar arvind.ayyangar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 09:33:18 UTC 2006

hi ppl,
 As I mentioned previously, my mdev.conf is never correctly parsed even
though i feel I have written all corrct
like
sd[a-z]*        root:root 0640  @/arvind/test.sh
  or
sd[a-z][1-9]*        root:root 0660
or
sd[a-z]*        root:root 0660  */arvind/test.sh

but I always get the same error
# mdev -s
mdev: Bad line 1

I later tried to execute mdev fom hotplug..
this is what I did
echo "/sbin/mdev" > /proc/sys/kernel/hoplug

Now when i insert a usb device, a new node is created as /dev/sda1 and it
does not give an error on the mdev.conf file but it doesnt seem to run the
program after creating the device node mentioned in the mdev.conf file. I
verified the device node was being created by mdev by removing the contents
of /proc/../hotplug when the device nodes were created....

ls /dev/sda1 -l
brw-rw----    1 root     0          8,   1 Feb 28 01:45 /dev/sda1

if I change the permissions in the mdev.conf file, the dont take effect
while creating the node, the permissions still remain the same

So now I am very confused as to who is creating the device nodes and what is
wrong with the mdev.conf file that I have written??

Thanks in advance

Regards
  ARviND AyyangaR

"Success is not measured by what a man accomplishes, but by the opposition
he has encountered, and the courage with which he maintained the struggle
against overwhelming odds."