zcip: 1.1.stable vs 1.2 ?

Andre armcc2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 21:41:55 UTC 2006

Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On Monday 11 September 2006 10:52 am, Steven Scholz wrote:
> >
> > for an old embedded project I have to use an old compiler
> > (2.95.4) thus I can't use busybox-1.2.
>
> I'm not seeing gcc 2.95.4 on http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html, but
> that does show that gcc 3.0 came out 5 years ago. I believe
> previous conversations on this topic decided that 7 years is the
> silliness event horizon for supporting old versions ...

"gcc 2.95.4" is quite likely to refer to the default compiler shipped
with debian woody (the debian stable distribution one release
previous to the current stable distribution). Very stable and well
tested.

Active support was ended approx 4 years ago:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/gcc-2.95/gcc-2.95_2.95.4.ds13-11woody1/changelog

Andre