UserBusybox

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Sep 15 13:12:30 UTC 2006

Rich Felker wrote:

>> GPL2 just talks about giving sources and build scripts to regenerate the
>> binary, it says nothing about "intended hardware" or the ability to run
>
> You can't generate the same binary you received if you don't have the
> keys. Thus they're part of the source. A pre-signed binary or a script

Hum 'regenerating the binary' is my language, it does not appear in the
GPL2.

''For an executable work, complete source
code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
control compilation and installation of the executable.''

You could try to stretch "associated interface definition files" to mean
crypto keys, but it seems to me to refer to API includes.

> If you don't believe GPLv2 is specific enough about this, then all you

A belief I would apparently share with the author of it, given what is
in GPL3... the hope of liberating crypto keys from GPL2-only licensed
implementations seems to me to be wishful thinking.

As a user I resonate to the wish for such abilities.  If you look into
the hard crypto-based monitoring in new chips like Freescale iMX31
(XBOX260-style hardware RAM block SHA-1 hash checking ongoing at
runtime; permanent key deletion on tamper detect based on failed JTAG
challenge-response) GPL3 demand for keys and a patent umbrella is
commendable, visionary and ahead of its time.  But for me today is
better served with a GPL2 busybox, since I can feed my kids thereby.

-Andy