Unbreaking allbareconfig (svn 16125).

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Sep 17 23:02:47 UTC 2006

On Sunday 17 September 2006 2:05 pm, Rich Felker wrote:
> Using #defines for these is even more nonsensical than using external
> string vars. At least the extern vars save a few bytes.

Yeah, if you use them from exactly one C file, the external string vars save
negative four bytes (for the extra char * that has to save the value in case
you take the address of it).

Whereas if you're doing build-at-once mode, a good compiler should be able to
merge duplicate strings.  I dunno which version of gcc starts being
considered a "good compiler" here, or if it's even shipped yet.