svn commit: trunk/busybox: applets include

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Sep 21 18:28:48 UTC 2006

On Thursday 21 September 2006 10:08 am, Jason Schoon wrote:
> Does the SFLC really feel it necessary to include this in binary output,
> rather than just plastering it in the source code?

The problem is making sure the optimizer doesn't remove it.  I suggested:

  if (!argc) puts("blah blah blah");

Which should never trigger, but the compiler has no way of knowing it.
However, if we _do_ have the sucker in there (and they seem to prefer it show
up in "strings" rather than having to chisel it out in a way that a judge
might not follow, so compressing it sounds like a downside), then it isn't
any more bytes to display it.  (And the bit at the top there generally
scrolls off _anyway_.  Putting it at the end would actually confront people
with it.  This is about the most obscure way of displaying it without adding
bytes for a "--license" test.)

I personally would be happier not having to name _anybody_ in the copyright
message, but a copyright notice isn't valid if it doesn't say who, and they
want the license in their too so it's clear what the terms were.  And our
lawyers are doing this for free, and on top of that I'm about to sic Bruce
on 'em... I sort of feel bad about that and want to make it up to them, to be
honest...

That's their suggested text, verbatim.  I would prefer it to be smaller, yes.