initramfs with busybox(init not found)

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Tue Mar 13 02:50:57 PDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:16:35AM +0900, Sina Mallick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to port linux 2.6.18 on ARM cpu LH7A404..kernel is ok but
> problem to mount the root file system..I am using initramfs as root file
> system with busybox 1.4.1.
> but it seems the root file system does not mounted....and am getting this
> error...

The root filesystem doesn't mount in an initramfs cenario. That's the
job of the /init (or rdinit), or doing whatever else you want.

> Kernel command line: console=ttyAM1,115200n8 rdinit=/bin/ash
> Failed to execute /bin/ash

Try a static compiled binary that printfs some data and waits:
for (;;) pause();

> slink /bin/ash /bin/busybox 0755 0 0
FYI, the gen_init_cpio in recent kernels have some changes from me that
allow the specification of hardlinks:
file bin/busybox sbin/busybox 0755 0 0 bin/ash bin/sh bin/ls ...

Also, the kernel seems to detect the initramfs correctly, failing only
because it couldn't execute rdinit. But to make sure, specify the exact
exact size of the initramfs image to the boot loader. In my particular
case, I had to do that with redboot otherwise the kernel would find junk
after the end of the image and consider it a normal initrd.

--
lfr
0/0