chvt utility and device node symlinks

Clint Thomas cthomas at Soneticom.com
Mon Mar 19 14:10:55 PDT 2007

Hey,

I want to use the chvt utility in busybox so that I can connect to
another device I have on the system through serial. My problem is that
chvt looks specifically for a /dev/ttyX where X is the argument passed
to chvt as a number. The device I want to talk to is /dev/tts/X, so I
tried making a symlink to it like this

ln -s /dev/tts/X /dev/ttyX

which creates a device node, but chvt does not connect. Is this a
problem where chvt is expecting something different, or do I need to
make the symlink differently than I have?

In the end, what I really need more than anything else is to connect to
another serial device and have a serial terminal working from within my
serial console.

Clinton Thomas