RFC: bbox 1.5.0?

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:50:00 PDT 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:23:27 +0100
Denis Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 19 March 2007 15:10, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > > Because of this, and since we started to get more mails
> > > about bugs in 1.4.x which are already fixed in svn, I am
> > > thinking about releasing busybox 1.5.0 before starting
> > > any new significant work on busybox.
> >
> > What plans do you have for post 1.5?
>
> a) adding few more applets

i'm curious :)

tunctl, ifenslave, diff3, rcs and sfdisk are on my wishlist.
anyway, thats later...

> b) maybe persuading gcc to stop performing sadistic
>    data alignment (like 32 bytes!!! ARRRRGGGGHHHHH)
> c) ...

I'm working on a C version of http://apk-tools.sf.net I am hoping for
inclusion in busybox in the future (I could maintain it myself), or
I'll just like it against libbb.

> > > What do you think about this?
> >
> > I think it sounds good. You could declare a feature freeze for a while
> > and start hunting bugs, create a stable branch in svn for 1.5 and
> > release a beta for ppl who dont like building from svn.
>
> What if 1.5.0 *is* a signal that 1.5.x is feature frozen? All
> guinea pi^W^W our dear users will rush to busybox.net
> and help us with testing then...

:-)

> Desire to release 'flawless' 1.5.0 is understandable, but OTOH,
> isn't it a sign of cathedralism?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar

Fair enough.

How about one or two release candidates, like linux?