telnetd for nommu

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 24 07:40:41 PDT 2007

Hello.

On Friday 23 March 2007 15:29, Meihui Fan wrote:
> The telnetd.c will not be compiled if enabled on a nommu platform as
> blackfin.

You NOMMU people are rather hard to find.

busybox's NOMMU code is rather shaky IMO, yet bug reports
do not appear as frequently as I would expect.

But I digress...

> The error message is:
>
> "undefined reference to `xdaemon'"
>
> The solution is learned from inetd.c. A small patch inlined as following:
>
> +#ifndef BB_NOMMU
>                         xdaemon(0, 0);
> +#else
> +                       vfork_daemon_rexec (0, 0, argc, argv, "-f");
> +#endif

Does it actually work? I'm asking because telnetd is using fork()
in make_new_session() - and that is not supposed to work on NOMMU,
right? Thus just fixing compilation by nuking xdaemon() is not enough,
you need to get rid of fork().

This leads me to another questions:
Will it help with NOMMU bug hunting if we will deliberately make
fork() to fail during compilation?

Do I miss something?

Meanwhile, I actually took a look at vfork_daemon_rexec()
and somewhat simplified it, + fixed dnsd to actually work.
Thus your mail is already useful. Thanks.
--
vda