ifup / udev problem

Ignacio García Pérez iggarpe at terra.es
Thu Mar 29 02:40:08 PDT 2007

Hi,

This used to work in my system but no longer does:

I set up several SLIP interfaces using "slattach". As soon as the slX
interfaces show up, the udevd daemon calls, via a rules file, /sbin/ifup
for each interface.

Then ifup fails miserably to configure the interface. The problem seems
to be that ifup *does not use absolute paths* for the external programs
it calls (run-parts, ip, etc), thus it relies on the PATH being properly
set.

And udevd does not pass a PATH environment variable.

My question is: what is the *proper* way to fix this?

a) Manage to get udevd to pass a valid path to ifup.

b) Fix ifup so it uses absolute paths to the external programs it uses.

c) Fix ifup so it uses a meaningful default PATH
(/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin) when none is available.

Nacho.

P.S: I don't have changed the udev rules, so I assume it used to work
because either ifup used absolute paths, or used a meaningful default
path, or -the least likely- a previous version of udevd passed a PATH to
the programs it executes.