Modifying init to create /dev/console ?

Robin Farine robin.farine at terminus.org
Mon Mar 12 17:01:32 UTC 2007

On Mon March 12 2007 16:22, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On Sunday 11 March 2007 23:46, Robin Farine wrote:

> > By creating a /dev/console device node in the NFS exported
> > filesystem ?
>
> The whole point of his quest was to be able to _not_ have
> /dev populated on rootfs. Imagine that root filesystem
> doesn't support device nodes (for example, it's NTFS).
> [Yes I agree it's perverted].

OK, although only /dev/console is required in the rootfs, the other
device nodes can be created later in the tmpfs filesystem. So if I
understand correctly, the goal was to avoid the warning message
when booting with a non-unix friendly filesystem exported with NFS,
used as root filesystem for Linux based systems... Never thought
about that possibility :-).

Robin