AWK Bug: multple -f options do not work

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Fri Mar 23 10:51:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:41:13AM +0100, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 07:56:43AM +0100, Petric Frank wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >i saw that a new release (1.5.0) is out.
> >
> >It is good to see that awk now supports multiple -v options, but i miss
> >multiple -f options.
> >
> >Since i am new to this mailing list i had only the chance to dig into the
> >archive at busybox.net. There i found the mail from Bernhard Fischer (dd: Sat
> >Mar 10 04:23:37 PST 2007). I think the analogous extension for the -f option
> >could be easy.
>
> ok. Which options are supposed to be available multiple times?
> Let's straighten these out at once and not for each individual option.

Susv3: http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/awk.html

-f  progfile
    Specify the pathname of the file progfile containing an awk program.
    If multiple instances of this option are specified, the concatenation of
    the files specified as progfile in the order specified shall be the awk
    program. The awk program can alternatively be specified in the command
    line as a single argument.

-v  assignment
    The application shall ensure that the assignment argument is in the
    same form as an assignment operand. The specified variable assignment
    shall occur prior to executing the awk program, including the actions
    associated with BEGIN patterns (if any). Multiple occurrences of this
    option can be specified.

Note that the "-v" for specifying an assignment is optional. You can
have awk -v a=b -v c=d or just awk a=b c=d:

assignment
            An operand that begins with an underscore or alphabetic
character from the portable character set (see the table in the Base
Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 6.1, Portable
Character Set), followed by a sequence of underscores, digits, and
alphabetics from the portable character set, followed by the '='
character, shall specify a variable assignment rather than a pathname.

lfr
0/0