Unable to bring a ttyAM console

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon May 7 21:59:32 UTC 2007

On Monday 07 May 2007 18:22, Praba Rajah wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I am trying to telnet from my PC ( Win XP os) to my target-board ( ARM + Linux + Busybox).
>
>   I couldn't able to bring a getty console.
>
>   If I set to spawn a getty in "inittab" file
>
>   " ttyAM1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 ttyAM1"
>
>   I am getting following error message continuously when target board is booting
>
> "Can't open /dev/ttyAM1: No such device or address

errno == ENXIO.

Well it basically says it all. It cannot open /dev/ttyAM1.
/dev/ttyAM1 exists ans is probably a char device node, but
kernel has no corresponding device. Maybe your kernel doesn't
detect your hardware, or /dev/ttyAM1 has wrong major/minor.

Post ls -l of /dev and your kernel boot log, maybe other
ARM people will spot something.
--
vda