[patch] no output when executing md5sum in back quotes

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:14:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 12:25:40PM +0200, Daniel Farrugia wrote:
>Hello List,
>
>The md5sum applet included with busybox 1.5.0 seems to have a problem
>when executed inside back quotes. Running the applet directly from the
>shell works fine however when back quotes are used there is no output:
>
>% busybox md5sum busybox            [works]
>% echo `busybox md5sum busybox`     [no ouput]
>
>It seems that the applet doesn't flush stdout before exiting. The
>trivial patch included below fixed this problem for me.

well, we should probably fix this more generic by calling
fflush_stdout_and_exit((*)applet_main) in the dispather.

Our behaviour WRT handling the case where an applet finished (i'd be
tempted to call it "an applet exits", but that's not accurate, really)
is not very consistent and could use a cleanup, imho.