udev and PATH problems

Jan Evert van Grootheest Jan-Evert.van.Grootheest at Vialis.nl
Wed May 16 12:23:59 UTC 2007

> Ok, I'm replying to myself with what I think is the best solution:
>
> 1- Rename (as FC6 and other distros do) the files in
> /etc/udev/rules.d
> to force a parse order (i.e. place a number prefix).
>
> 2- Create a "00-early.rules" file with the following content:
>
> ACTION=="*", ENV{PATH}="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin"
>

> By the way, any suggestions on which should be the default
> "reasonable"
> path. The one I used above is what I get from a "echo $PATH"
> at my FC6
> box prompt, but busybox's ash seems to prefer the following:
>
> /usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin
>
> Which one makes most sense?

I would suggest that /usr/* should come before /*, because the root partition is usually (intended) to keep small and/or readonly so /usr may contain the same binary with more capabilities and/or an updated one.

I don't really know about */bin */sbin. */bin is intended for more generic useful programs, like ls, while */sbin is intended for programs that are generally useless to users. But, well, this is busybox. And in embedded environments the rules may be different. I know that with us */sbin is just a link to */bin.

-- Jan Evert

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Vialis is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.