[uClibc] uClibc 0.9.21 released

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Sep 9 11:02:01 UTC 2003

uClibc 0.9.21 released

  CodePoet Consulting is pleased to announce the immediate
  availability of uClibc 0.9.21. This release has been brewing for
  several months now, and provides quite a lot of additional
  functionality and quite a few bug fixes as well. Many people will
  be pleased that this release fixes the "dlopen()'ing libraries
  that depend on libraries" problem.

  The biggest thing in this release (and I do mean that literally)
  is that uClibc now has full ANSI/ISO C99 locale support. Well,
  except for wcsftime() and collating items in regex, which are not
  done yet. Adding support for the default set of locales (169 UTF-8
  locales and 144 locales using other codesets) will enlarge uClibc
  by around 300k. Still, if you need locale support, that is still
  much better than the roughly 30MB the comparable set of locale
  date occupies with glibc. And you can of course reduce the 300k by
  reducing the number of supported locales.

  As usual, this release has many improvements, both large and
  small. At this point, most applications that compile and work with
  glibc will also compile and run with uClibc. Both Perl and Python
  pass all the tests in their test suites (both with and without
  locale support enabled). We invite you to grab a copy of the
  latest Linux Test Project test suite <http://ltp.sourceforge.net/>
  and give uClibc some abuse. We are not yet perfect, but we are
  getting pretty darn close.

  This release is not binary compatible with earlier releases.
  Depending on your configuration, you may actually still be binary
  compatible, but it would be a good idea to recompile your
  applications when moving to the uClibc 0.9.21 release. We are
  sorry about that, but we have never promised to provide binary
  compatibility until we hit version 1.0. And even then, if you
  change your uClibc configuration, you still still generally need
  to recompile...

  Updated uClibc development systems using uClibc 0.9.21 will be
  made available within a few days.

As usual, the uClibc 0.9.21 release can be obtained from:
    http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/uClibc-0.9.21.tar.bz2

The Changelog for this release is here:
    http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/Changelog
    http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/Changelog.full